Installation of Darwin
- Get a Darwin installation CD.
- Read the getting started document first
Set machargs="-v" for verbose startup (recommended).
- After starting PearPC, Darwin should boot automatically.
- Wait (possible wait some more) and when asked for installation device
enter "shell" to get a shell.
- You now have to create a partition:
- Enter pdisk.
- Enter e and then /dev/disk0 to edit the partition map of
the hard disk.
- Enter i to initialize the disk.
- Confirm the default values.
- Enter p to print the preliminary partition map.
- Note the length of the Apple_Free partition.
- Enter C (this is a capital 'C') to create a new partition entry.
- Enter 64 as first block then the length of the Apple_Free partition from above.
- Enter Mac_OS_X as partition name and Apple_HFS as partition type.
- Enter w to write to partition map, confirm with y and then enter q and q
to quit pdisk.
- We're done with the partition map. Enter reboot and wait for PearPC to quit.
- Now restart PearPC.
- Wait again (and possible wait some more again) and when asked enter
1 as device, 0 as partition and then yes to confirm
the installation to the selected disk.
- Turn your monitor off and do something useful.
- Done. It should now be possible to boot from the hard disk. Maybe your should
turn your monitor on again, to confirm that everything has worked.